Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Why?

Why? I'll tell you.
David is NOT the only Nigerian I know.
Nor is he the only one who has been with me as long as he has.
Even if I have never met them in person, in real life.
I've met MANY people online in the last few years and many of them come and go but some of them STAY. I appreciate both. I have ALSO met many Nigerians in the course of that time.
Even Nigerians themselves will tell you to be careful of Nigerians.
YES, absolutely some of them try to scam you. I've met my share of them too.
I won't deny it or lie about it or give upon the rest because of it either!
I didn't and don't think it is fair to judge a whole country or society based on the deeds of SOME so I continued talking to them, learning from them, trying to understand them and I have to say...
I LOVE them.
I can't help feeling over and over, again and again, that I have some destiny with Africans most specifically Nigerians. I don't know WHY. I only know that I love them and I'm going to try to explain to you why, though I suspect that my words won't do my feelings and thoughts and understandings justice at all. Yet I will try.

I have found MANY friendships online from many places and there are many reasons and many things to learn from them. What I have learned from and about Nigerians is this:

  • they LOVE me
  • they make me laugh
  • they are POSITIVE people
  • they are respectful
  • family is important to them
  • they are encouraging and supportive
  • they are intelligent
  • they are friendly
  • they are fun
  • boys from Nigeria are the same as boys from anywhere else: some are playin' and some are SERIOUS!
  • they work hard
  • they love their home and family and country like any of us do
  • they HOPE for better
  • they strive for better
  • they can be sweet and charming
  • they long to love and be loved like anyone else
  • they can endure hardships and sorrows like nobody else I know and STILL remain positive and moving forward
  • they INSPIRE me
I must say also, honestly, that while most of them care about and follow their religion and some of them are pentecostal, catholic, baptist or muslim, I don't care which. I'm not judging. I've learned much from ALL of them.  

The truth is, they are just people doing the best they can in the world that they live in, like any of us are doing and judging them doesn't allow you the time required to get to know and appreciate them...the same length of time it takes in any friendship or relationship.

I am GRATEFUL for the relationships I have made and the lessons I have learned from my Nigerian friends and would not trade any of them!

DAVID, just receives special consideration because our friendship has touched me on a deeper, soul level and we've already shared ups and downs, joys and sorrows and time together that has helped us grow closer! NOW, I can't imagine life without him in it and I WANT him and his family IN it!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment